When is a zoning permit required?

You are required to obtain a zoning permit before any excavation, construction, relocation, or installation is started for a new use (FNSBC 18.104.080.B).

The only exceptions to this requirement are if the property is within a General Use (GU) zoning district (and outside of a special landscape area overlay zone) or if the lot is just being cleared or graded (FNSBC 18.104.080.B.1 and 2).

If within the GU zoning district, you may still opt to submit a zoning permit to establish a starting point for a use or the construction date for a structure. This could be helpful to affirm grandfather rights in the future. Please see FNSBC 18.84.020 for other uses within the GU zoning district that require a conditional use permit.

Please note that all commercial marijuana establishments require approval via a zoning permit or conditional use permit.

Show All Answers

1. How can I view a code enforcement case file?
2. How do I file a complaint?
3. How does the FNSB handle reported code violations?
4. If I think that a property owner is violating FNSB code, what should I do?
5. My neighbor keeps trespassing onto my property. What can I do?
6. My neighbor's stuff or vegetation is crossing our shared property line. What can I do?
7. How do I call for an immediate fire or life/safety emergency?
8. My neighbor's pickup is parked on the road. Is that encroachment?
9. What can I do about an abandoned vehicle at the end of my cul-de-sac?
10. What can I do about someone who has blocked off or is parking vehicles in a road right-of-way, trail easement, or private easement?
11. What qualifies as a junkyard?
12. When is a junkyard required to have an approved drainage plan?
13. Where are junkyards permitted? Do they have to be screened?
14. My neighbor has 10 dogs on 1 lot. Is that considered a kennel?
15. Where can I open a new dog (or cat) kennel?
16. Can I raise chickens, ducks, geese, bees, goats, etc. on my property?
17. Do I need a building permit before starting construction?
18. When is a zoning permit required?